Monday, May 18, 2009

Got to go with the game

(This column is not for vegetarians)

I have been in South Africa for over a month now, and one absolute truth is that South Africans know how to eat! I have had several firsts here. All delicious.

Tonight I was directed to the Khaya Nyama restaurant which is all about game meats. I had been told that the warthog ribs were a good bet, but I have opted for the three antelope skewer - elan, springbok and kudu. What can I say, you just have to take the opportunity when it is presented. I just wish someone had been with me to share to two choices.

I am not an antelope connoisseur, but damn it was good. There are very subtle differences between the three meats. The elan was delicate, the springbok was the strongest or gamest flavoured and the kudu was quite rich and buttery. They were all incredibly lean and moist. They were well paired with mash potatoes and pumpkin. But this isn't really about the veggies.

Some other foodie treats I have had are eisbein, springbok carpaccio, ostrich, lamb's neck and of course braai BBQ.

Eisbein is a pork pot roast of sorts. It is slow cooked until it just about falls off the bone. It is the type of food where you don't care that you are dribbling juices down your chin. You are too busy humming with delight.

Springbok carpaccio was incredibly lean and flavourful. It packed a lot of punch in a little thin strip. It was paired with some tangy pickles and strong cheese.

The ostrich I had was in stew form. It was made up mostly of back and neck joints, so you had to work a bit to get the meat. It was definitely worth it. Although I admit I passed on eating the spinal cord.

Lamb maybe my favourite meat, especially my Mum's roast leg of lamb, so when I got lamb's neck stew at my second volunteer's house I was pretty pleased. Telisewa, our housekeeper / cook always prepared amazing food, but her lamb's neck stew stood out. It was buttery soft and full of rich flavour.

A braai is not so much a type of food, but rather a method of cooking. The magic of a braai is the social aspect. It takes hours to cook so everyone has plenty of time to drink and chat. Everyone generally brings their own meats but there is a single chef or braai master. They are responsible for the fire. They decide when the coals are just right. Plus they manage the cage that holds all the meat while it is cooking. Instead of place the meat on a rack and turning the meat. It is placed in a folding rack and the whole rack is turned. The other important aspect of braai is the braai spice. It is a seasoned salt mix which thankfully I have secure a small bottle to send home. The most common items at a braai are lamb chops, vors (sausage) and chicken.

Now that I am fueled up on antelope meat, I am ready for my day of diving tomorrow. I will be swimming with the seven gill sharks - outside of a cage! Hopefully they aren't wanting to know what Canadian tastes like!

No comments: