I got settled into my hotel which was just outside the main hub of the city. I am okay with this, as it means I shouldn't have to deal with noisy revelers or dodge and smelly puddles in the morning.
My first mission was to find the Canadian Embassy. I have a dilemma with my passport - it is running out of pages! I only have two left. I had hoped to replace it while here. In the end, I have to settle for a temporary and then have a permanent replacement sent to a destination further along in my journey. Keep your fingers crossed!
As in many cities, I decided to do the bus tour. Dublin isn't terribly big, but it does have a good collection of worthwhile stops. One of which is the Guinness Storehouse. The source of Ireland's black gold, not to mention a great place to view the city. The Gravity bar at the top of the building give a 365 degree view of Dublin. Which is fantastic especially while you sup your complimentary pint. As with many cultural stops I have been to this year, Guinness put on a great showing for you €15. No only do you get a historical view of how Arthur Guinness got started in the trade, but you also get an overview of the ingredients, how they are blended into the magic that is Guinness, plus you can see some of the most iconic advertisements thru the ages.
I also stopped into a few churches and historical buildings. However, I have to say, the Irish charge for entering a church. That has been a first for me on this trip. I am not sure how I feel about it.
I have left a good part of the city untouched as I will be back a few more times. I will spend two nights here before heading to Scotland and at least another night here on my second leg of the Irish tour.
Off to Kilkenny and Cork now. I hope they offer up a new slice of Irish life as well. My beer tasting will continue, but I am doubtful much will compare to my beloved Black and Gold.

No comments:
Post a Comment